MELBOURNE, Australia, July 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
* Intravenous injection of Mesenchymal Precursor Cells (MPCs) resulted in selective migration to inflamed joints and lymph nodes in a sheep model of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
* A single intravenous injection of allogeneic, or "off-the-shelf", MPCs significantly reduced synovial tissue levels of TNF-alpha, IL-6, and IL-17, and reduced mononuclear cell infiltration* Reduced cytokine and inflammatory cell levels were accompanied by significant reduction in pathology severity scores and synovial hyperplasia * MPCs may have a mechanism of action that is unique from other biological therapies by shutting down multiple cytokine pathways simultaneously * MPCs could be a safe, first line therapy to induce sustained improvement of joint inflammation in RA * Phase 2 clinical trial in RA expected to commence Q4 2012 * RA is the second clinical indication, after type 2 diabetes, to be targeted using Mesoblast's intravenous product formulation Melbourne, Australia; 24 July 2012: Regenerative medicine company Mesoblast Limited (ASX:MSB) today announced positive results in a large animal model of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) following a single intravenous injection of its proprietary allogeneic, or "off-the-shelf", immunomodulatory adult Mesenchymal Precursor Cells (MPCs). Mesoblast Chief Executive Professor Silviu Itescu said that the results indicated that the Company's immunomodulatory MPCs may have a mechanism of action that is unique from other biological therapies by shutting down multiple cytokine pathways simultaneously, and that this could become a first line treatment with a superior and sustained benefit on reducing inflammation and destruction of joints in people suffering from severe RA. RA is an autoimmune disease driven and perpetuated by pro-inflammatory cytokines such as TNF-alpha, IL-6, and IL-17. Treatments targeting any of these pathways alone are only moderately effective in RA, need to be administered chronically, and may cause unacceptable infectious adverse events. A single intravenous injection of allogeneic MPCs in sheep with collagen-induced arthritis concomitantly affected T cells, monocytes/macrophages, and synoviocytes to simultaneously shut down TNF-alpha, IL-6, and IL-17 cytokine pathways, and improve joint pathology.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV