“The Company executed well in the second quarter, with continued operating improvement year over year as well as targeted actions to drive further improvements in 2013. Reflecting our confidence in the Company’s future, we are increasing the quarterly dividend by 8%,” said Crane Co. president and chief executive officer Eric C. Fast. “We have narrowed our EPS guidance range and reduced the midpoint by $0.05, reflecting two small divestitures in the second quarter. Our repositioning actions directly address costs in our European Fluid Handling businesses, strengthening our confidence for 2013.”
In June 2012, the Company divested two businesses, positively impacting second quarter 2012 EPS by $0.31. The associated gain of $18.3 million on an after-tax basis is included in the “Gain from Discontinued Operations” section on the accompanying income statement. The divested businesses had profit from operations in the second quarter of 2012 of $1.6 million on an after-tax basis, or $0.03 per share, which is included in the “Profit from Discontinued Operations” section on the accompanying income statement.
- Azonix Corporation was sold to Cooper Industries (NYSE: CBE) on June 19, 2012 for $43.4 million. Azonix designs and manufactures intrinsically safe computer devices for extreme environments and was formerly part of the Controls segment. In the first half of 2012, Azonix had sales and pre-tax profit from operations of $17.1 million and $2.5 million, respectively.
- Certain assets and operations of Crane’s valve service center in Houston, TX were sold to Furmanite Corporation (NYSE: FRM) on June 28, 2012 for $9.3 million. This service center, formerly part of the Fluid Handling segment, had sales and pre-tax profit from operations in the first half of 2012 of $8.4 million and $1.3 million, respectively.
Repositioning ActionsThe Company recorded pre-tax repositioning charges of $14.7 million in the second quarter of 2012, or $11.9 million on an after-tax basis. Of these repositioning charges, $11.4 million (on a pre-tax basis) is associated with actions to improve Fluid Handling profitability. The charges, which negatively impacted second quarter 2012 EPS by $0.20, included severance and other costs related to the anticipated transfer of certain manufacturing operations from higher cost to lower cost Company facilities, and other staff reduction actions. The actions include an expected reduction of approximately 200 employees, or about 2% of Crane’s global workforce. Within the European portion of the Fluid Handling segment, the Company expects a reduction of approximately 150 employees, or 7% of that workforce. In addition to the amounts recorded in the second quarter, the Company expects to incur additional pre-tax charges related to these actions in the second half of 2012 of approximately $5 million, or $0.06 per share, associated with equipment relocation and personnel costs primarily in Fluid Handling. Pre-tax savings associated with all of these repositioning actions are expected to approximate $12 million annually for the Company beginning in 2013, of which $10 million relates to Fluid Handling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV