Chief Executive Officer Comments
Mr. Berges commented, “This was another strong quarter for Hexcel, as solid execution combined with increased sales to yield excellent results. For the quarter, our adjusted diluted EPS of $0.42 was 31% higher than last year, on a 16% increase in constant currency sales. We are also particularly pleased that our adjusted operating income was 16.1% of net sales for the quarter, over 200 basis points better than last year.”
Looking ahead, Mr. Berges said, “Historically, seasonal effects result in slightly lower second half margins, but this strong first half of the year gives us confidence to reaffirm our 2012 guidance despite global economic concerns. While we were certainly helped by the revenue growth, our operational execution truly stands out in our first half as we delivered over 26% incremental operating income on the growth after excluding the benefits of the strong dollar.”
- Commercial Aerospace sales of $233.5 million increased 12.4% (14.2% in constant currency) for the quarter as compared to the second quarter of 2011. Combined revenues attributed to new aircraft programs (A380, A350, B787, B747-8) increased over 30% versus the same period last year and now comprise about 30% of Commercial Aerospace sales.
- Sales for Airbus and Boeing legacy aircraft were up modestly compared to the second quarter of 2011, but lower than the first quarter of 2012 as sales rates move in line with current aircraft production levels after a modest inventory restocking by our customers in the first quarter.
- Sales to “Other Commercial Aerospace,” which include regional and business aircraft customers, were up over 10% compared to the same period last year, but down slightly from the robust level of the first quarter of 2012.
- Space & Defense sales of $88.1 million were 7.8% higher (10.3% in constant currency) than the second quarter of 2011. We continue to benefit from rotorcraft growth.
- Total Industrial sales of $77.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 were 20.9% higher (28.3% in constant currency) than the second quarter of 2011. Wind sales were up significantly from the easy comparisons of last year’s second quarter results, and have now grown sequentially for the last six quarters. While we are encouraged by this growth and the large backlog of turbines on order with our largest customer, our guidance for the year assumes a second half similar to the second half of 2011 due to economic uncertainties.
- The tax provision was $22.1 million for the second quarter of 2012, bringing our year to date effective tax rate to 31.8%. Last year’s second quarter tax provision was $9.3 million, an effective tax rate of 20.0%, but excluding one-time benefits taken in the quarter, we had an effective tax rate of 31.9% for the first half of 2011.
- Free cash flow (defined as cash provided from operating activities less cash paid for capital expenditures) for the first half of 2012 was a use of $70.6 million versus a source of $9.5 million in the first half of 2011, reflecting increased capital expenditures for additional capacity. Cash paid for capital expenditures was $144.4 million in the first half of 2012 compared to $67.8 million in the first half of 2011. Total debt, net of cash as of June 30, 2012 was $267.3 million, an increase of $6.7 million from March 31, 2012.
- Foreign exchange rates contributed about 30 basis points to the higher operating income percentage in the second quarter of 2012 as compared to 2011.
- This quarter’s operating income included a net $9.5 million of other operating income (after tax of $0.06 per diluted share) as a result of three items. First, we settled our business interruption insurance claim from the April 2011 tornado in Decatur, Alabama, which resulted in income of $9.6 million. Second, we recorded a gain of $4.9 million from the sale of land from a previously closed manufacturing facility. Lastly, we recorded a $5.0 million charge to the environmental reserves primarily for remediation at a manufacturing facility sold in 1986.
- As previously announced, the quarter results include a $1.1 million charge (after tax of $0.01 per diluted share) from the accelerated amortization of deferred financing costs and expensing of the call premium from redeeming the remaining $73.5 million of the 6.75% senior subordinated notes. The redemption was funded by a $75 million add-on to our senior secured credit facility.
- Sales to be in the range of $1.55 to $1.65 billion. The strengthening of the dollar against the Euro and the GBP has resulted in a reduction of our reported sales. At today’s exchange rates, our reported sales for the year will be $35 to $45 million less than at the rates at the beginning of the year.
- Adjusted diluted earnings per share to be in the range of $1.45 to $1.55.
- Accrual basis capital expenditures to be in the range of $250 to $275 million. We expect our capital spending to be funded by our cash from operating activities and our existing credit facilities. We expect free cash flow for the year to be a use of cash in the range of $50 to $75 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV