United Stationers Inc. (NASDAQ: USTR) reported second quarter 2012 results.
Second Quarter Financial Summary
- Net sales were up 1.5% to $1.28 billion compared with $1.26 billion in the prior-year quarter.
- Diluted earnings per share were $0.66 versus $0.54 in the prior-year quarter. Current period earnings per share were up 12% versus adjusted earnings per share in the prior-year quarter of $0.59 (1).
- Second quarter gross margin was $188.3 million, or 14.8% of sales, compared with $184.2 million, or 14.7% of sales, in the prior-year quarter.
- Operating expenses were $137.9 million, or 10.8% of sales, compared with $136.4 million, or 10.9% of sales in the prior-year quarter. Excluding a non-cash pre-tax equity compensation charge related to the former CEO’s retirement, second quarter 2011 adjusted operating expenses were $132.0 million (1) or 10.5% (1) of sales.
- Operating margin was $50.3 million, or 3.9% of sales, versus $47.8 million, or 3.8% of sales, in the prior-year quarter. Excluding the item noted above, adjusted operating margin in the prior-year quarter was $52.2 million (1) or 4.2% (1) of sales.
- Net income was $27.0 million compared with $24.8 million in the prior-year quarter. Excluding the non-cash item, adjusted net income in the prior-year quarter was $27.5 million (1).
- Net cash provided by operating activities for the six months ended June 30, 2012 totaled $48.3 million versus $73.3 million in the prior-year period.
- Cash paid for share repurchases totaled $54.3 million for approximately 1.8 million shares during the six months ended June 30, 2012.
“Our growth categories and channels continued to deliver strong performance and we are making progress on our efficiency initiatives,” said Cody Phipps, president and chief executive officer. “Our industrial and janitorial/breakroom areas showed solid growth and we are pleased with our progress in the e-retail and public sector channels. The office products environment is still challenging, but we continue to pursue opportunities here to drive specific category growth initiatives.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV