2. The Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS)
Company profile: "Scotiabank," is the third-largest bank in Canada, with a market value of $58 billion.
Dividend Yield: 4.2%
Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 5.6% this year, have a three-year, average annual return of 14%, and a 10-year return of 15.7%. Analysts give its shares seven "buy" ratings, six "buy/holds," four "holds" and one "weak hold," according to a survey of analysts by S&P.Analysts' consensus estimate is for earnings of $4.68 per share this year, and grow by 7% to $5.03 per share next year. S&P has its shares "buy" rated with a $60 price target, which is a 20% premium to the current price. 1. Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD) Company profile: TD bank, with a market value of $71 billion, is the second-largest Canadian bank. Its second quarter revenue was up 11.5% year-over-year, to an all-time quarterly high. Dividend Yield: 3.6% Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 8.5% this year, have a three-year, average annual return of 17% and a 10-year annualized return of 16.3%. Analysts give its shares six "buy" ratings, nine "buy/holds," two "holds," and one "sell," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. S&P has it rated "buy," with an $85 price target, which is a 7.5% premium to the current price. It's expected to earn $7.25 per share this year, up 12% from the $6.45 per share of last year. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV