2. The Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS)
Company profile: "Scotiabank," is the third-largest bank in Canada, with a market value of $58 billion.
Dividend Yield: 4.2%
Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 5.6% this year, have a three-year, average annual return of 14%, and a 10-year return of 15.7%. Analysts give its shares seven "buy" ratings, six "buy/holds," four "holds" and one "weak hold," according to a survey of analysts by S&P.Analysts' consensus estimate is for earnings of $4.68 per share this year, and grow by 7% to $5.03 per share next year. S&P has its shares "buy" rated with a $60 price target, which is a 20% premium to the current price. 1. Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD) Company profile: TD bank, with a market value of $71 billion, is the second-largest Canadian bank. Its second quarter revenue was up 11.5% year-over-year, to an all-time quarterly high. Dividend Yield: 3.6% Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 8.5% this year, have a three-year, average annual return of 17% and a 10-year annualized return of 16.3%. Analysts give its shares six "buy" ratings, nine "buy/holds," two "holds," and one "sell," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. S&P has it rated "buy," with an $85 price target, which is a 7.5% premium to the current price. It's expected to earn $7.25 per share this year, up 12% from the $6.45 per share of last year. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV