CAI International, Inc. (CAI) (NYSE:CAP), one of the world’s leading lessors of intermodal freight containers, today reported record results for the second quarter of 2012.
Highlights for the Second Quarter of 2012
- CAI reported record net income attributable to CAI common stockholders for the second quarter of 2012 of $0.77 per fully diluted share, a 40% increase compared to $0.55 for the second quarter of 2011.
- Rental revenue for the second quarter of 2012 increased 42% compared to the second quarter of 2011.
- CAI leased out approximately 45,000 TEUs of containers during the quarter, and purchased approximately 22,000 TEUs of containers from two managed portfolios for $27 million.
- CAI’s year-to-date investment in rental equipment exceeds $350 million, of which $310 million is marine containers.
- During the quarter CAI’s container fleet reached over 1 million TEUs.
- CAI closed an $80 million term debt facility, increased its revolving credit facility commitments to $465 million notes and completed an $85 million revolving credit facility for the acquisition of railcars.
- CAI purchased approximately 1,200 railcars for $41 million, all of which are on lease with an average lease term of 3 years. The company has commitments to purchase another $10 million of railcars and expects continued investment through the end of the year.
Net income attributable to CAI common stockholders was $15.1 million for the second quarter of 2012, compared to $10.9 million for the second quarter of 2011, an increase of 39%.
Total revenue for the second quarter of 2012 was a record $39.7 million, compared to $28.8 million for the second quarter of 2011, an increase of 38%. Rental revenue for the second quarter of 2012 was $35.1 million, compared to $24.7 million for the second quarter of 2011. The increase in rental revenue was primarily due to a 42% increase in the average number of TEUs of owned containers on lease compared to the second quarter of 2011. Management fee revenue for the second quarter of 2012 was $3.0 million, compared to $3.3 million for the second quarter of 2011. CAI sold no container portfolios during the second quarter of 2012, compared to recording a gain on sale of container portfolios of $0.3 million in the second quarter of 2011. Finance lease income for the second quarter of 2012 increased to $1.6 million, from $0.5 million in the second quarter of 2011, primarily due to new finance lease contracts entered into since July 1, 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV