GLENDALE, Calif. (AP) â¿¿ "Shrek" movie studio DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. said Monday that it is buying Classic Media, custodian of a library of movies and TV series that includes "Casper the Friendly Ghost," ''Lassie," ''Rocky & Bullwinkle," and "The Lone Ranger."
DreamWorks Animation is paying $155 million in cash to Classic Media's owner, Boomerang Media Holdings. Boomerang was formed by private-equity firm GTCR and Eric Ellenbogen and John Engelman, who founded Classic Media in 2000.
The move immediately makes DreamWorks' December 2013 movie "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" more profitable because it was based on "Rocky & Bullwinkle" characters that DreamWorks had agreed to license from the Classic Media roster. It also makes DreamWorks a beneficiary of "The Lone Ranger" movie starring Johnny Depp, which The Walt Disney Co. is releasing next July.
The acquisition is expected to boost DreamWorks's profits in the first full year after the deal closes.Classic Media has about 80 employees and is based in New York. It had an operating profit of $19.2 million on $82.2 million in revenue in the year that ended Feb. 29. DreamWorks, based in Glendale, Calif., aims for Classic Media to continue the business of licensing its characters, selling movies on home video, publishing and selling consumer products. DreamWorks also plans to mine the character library for future animated movie ideas, said DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg. "We're already making 'Peabody & Sherman.' There are at least a dozen more that have that kind of potential," he said. He did not say whether the acquisition would alter DreamWorks' current strategy of releasing two or three animated movies per year. Classic Media owns 450 movies and 6,100 episodes of TV shows, both animated and live action. They include Christmas classics "Frosty the Snowman," ''Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV