Palo Alto, Calif.-based VMware reported earnings of 68 cents a share on revenue of $1.12 billion. Revenue increased 22% year-over-year. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting earnings of 66 cents a share and revenue of $1.11 billion. The final results were in line with the company's preliminary earnings released less than a week ago.
VMware also announced the Nicira acquisition, which it expects to close during the second half of 2012. The deal will cost VMware approximately $1.05 billion in cash plus around $210 million of unvested equity. Nicira's Network Virtualization Platform already supports the cloud architecture of AT&T (T), eBay (EBAY), Rackspace (RAX) and others.
"VMware has led the server virtualization revolution, and we have the opportunity to do the same in datacenter and cloud networking," said VMware CEO Paul Maritz, in a statement. "The acquisition of Nicira adds to our portfolio of networking assets and positions VMware to be the industry leader in software-defined networking."VMware and its parent company, EMC (EMC), recently unveiled a management shuffle. Pat Gelsinger, currently EMC president and COO of Information Infrastructure Products, will succeed VMware's Paul Maritz as CEO come September. Maritz will remain on the VMware Board of Directors and join EMC as Chief Strategist, reporting to CEO Joe Tucci. EMC's current CFO, David Goulden, will be EMC's COO starting in September. Like Maritz, Goulden will report to Tucci. VMware shares dropped 0.63% to $89.23 on Monday. Shares were down slightly in after-hours, off 0.82% to $88.50 according to Nasdaq.com on share volume of 270,000. --Written by Nathalie Pierrepont in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. >Contact by Email. Follow @nrpierrepont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV