NEW YORK (TheGoldAndOilGuy.com) -- It was just about a year ago today when the S&P was sitting at fresh highs and everyone was enjoying a rather upbeat summer. It was a nice summer, the markets were calm, and there was a surreal sense of optimism. Then, in the matter of a few days, things got real ugly, real quickly.
Well, it doesn't seem like too much has changed since then. We've had mixed earnings reports, ever-evolving worries in Europe, and the always looming fiscal mess in the U.S. Once again, are we in the calm before the storm?
It looks like things in Europe may start to heat up again. Riots turned violent in Spain as protestors took to the street over austerity measures. With seemingly no resolution, a sinking tourism industry in the PIGS, and a typically hot summer August on its way, all signs point to further turmoil.Technically, we're currently seeing a number of bearish indicators setting up in the S&P and other markets. First, on the weekly chart of the S&P 500 Futures (above) we can see what appears to be a bear flag formation developing. Note the recent rise in price since the beginning of June on decreasing volume. A second look at the S&P daily (below) illustrates two intermediate time frames that are currently pointing down.
- Completion of two intermediate cycles within longer-term 5 wave pattern.
Downward wave 1 from April until the beginning of June followed by wave 2 correction from June until present.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV