Big box retailer Target (TGT) is another name that's having a good year in 2012. Shares have rallied close to 20% since the first trading day of January, impressive performance to say the least. A big part of that performance comes from Target's success in carving out a niche in the mass retail market. By pitching itself to a slightly higher end of the market than Wal-Mart (WMT), Target has been able to thrive in spite of being dwarfed by the industry's standard bearer. Now Target's hoping to drive more traffic to its stores by adding groceries to its sales mix.
Across the country, Target stores are getting revamped with new grocery options for shoppers, a move that isn't intended as a growth engine in and of itself, but rather as a new way to get people inside its doors to get them buying other products. While the addition of grocery will dilute margins for TGT, it should translate into bigger absolute profits, a very good thing for investors.>>7 Stocks for a Housing Rebound Around 20% of TGT's sales come from private label products, an impressive mix that yields higher margins than merely retailing another manufacturer's wares. That 20% number also indicates that Target has a sticky customer base that's sold on its in-store brands. Keep an eye out for second-quarter earnings on Aug. 15. In fact, Target shows up on a list of 8 Top-Rated Stocks With The Best Earnings Outlooks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV