Yahoo! (YHOO) is getting a lot of attention right now. Last week, the firm announced that it had poached Marissa Mayer from her conspicuous spot at Google (GOOG) to head Yahoo! as CEO. The move was a good one for Yahoo!, particularly after an embarrassing string of management screw-ups. Mayer, after all, wasn't just a high-level Google exec -- she brings expertise in running the search business, which is exactly what Yahoo! could use right now.
Since its start, Yahoo! has stood out from other search engines by becoming a content portal. While a third of the firm's revenues come from paid search, more comes from serving up ads on article content from partners and on the firm's free hosted email service. That takes some of the onus off of a direct competition with Google right now, at least until Mayer settles in and figures out the best direction for the firm.>>10 Top-Rated Tech Stocks That Pay Big Dividends Even though Yahoo! isn't the most popular search site out there, the firm still earns considerable profits and boasts a secure balance sheet that's effectively debt-free. That abundance of "dry powder" should give Yahoo! the ability to spend money re-aligning the business and making acquisitions in the next couple of years. With rising analyst sentiment flowing into YHOO's shares right now, we're betting on this name. Yahoo! shows up on a recent list of 5 Stocks to Buy if They Crash on Earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV