NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In the new book King Peggy (available on Amazon), about a secretary called back to run her hometown in Ghana, the one place that must be guarded 24 hours a day is the cell phone tower.
This technology is allowing Africa to leapfrog the 20th century and go directly to the 21st.
Some of the most amazing stories I covered at ZDNet in the last decade concerned Africans and mobile phones.
Two come to mind right away.
- African women would buy mobile phones and calling plans, then go into the bush and sell calls to other women in remote villages. This gave the villages access to city markets.
- African doctors were performing ultrasounds on patients using mobile phones and scanners, sending the files to city hospitals for processing and having the results read back by text.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV