"American fought that longer and harder than anybody else," he added. "I think that was honorable. I think the people of American should be proud of what they did."
But, he said, other airlines were able to slash expenses in the courts, leaving American at a disadvantage.
American is preparing new planes, new interiors and upgraded airport facilities so it can eventually better compete with bigger rivals Delta Air Lines and United Continental Holdings Inc.'s United Airlines.
As part of that process, American might lose its iconic look: polished silver metal jets with red, white and blue stripes. The airline is planning to take delivery of new Airbus jets and the Boeing 787. Both sets of aircraft have plastic composites, Horton said, requiring the airline to rethink its exterior design, or livery.___ Scott Mayerowitz can be reached at http://twitter.com/GlobeTrotScott .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV