LONDON -- Media mogul Rupert Murdoch has resigned from a number of News Corp. (NWS) subsidiary boards in Britain and the United States, a spokeswoman confirmed Saturday.
Murdoch stepped down as a director of NI Group, Times Newspaper Holdings and News Corp. Investments in the U.K., said Daisy Dunlop, who speaks on behalf of News Corp.'s British arm, News International.
"This is nothing more than a corporate housecleaning exercise prior to the company split," a News International statement said.
The statement was referring to News Corp.'s announcement in late June that the giant would separate its publishing and media and entertainment businesses into two distinct, publicly traded companies.It was not immediately clear which of News Corp.'s U.S. boards Murdoch had left. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV