For the group, overall, the regulatory impact represented 1.7 percentage points of lower growth in the quarter. Of course, this has also partially reduces our costs. During the quarter, we saw further voice MTR cuts in Spain, the U.K., South Africa and New Zealand. The growth in data and fixed revenues continues, although messaging has now moved into negative growth territory along with voice revenues. CapEx for the quarter was GBP 1.1 billion, and free cash flow, as I mentioned earlier, was GBP 0.9 billion. I'll cover these in more detail later.
On Slide 5, let's take a closer look at the service revenues from our individual operating companies, and I will select a few countries to discuss in more detail. Ghana continues to leave the group with the highest growth. Whilst this is a small country in the overall context of the group, we are very proud of the performance in Ghana. Turkey continues to demonstrate operational excellence with strong growth across all segments. We have seen strong competition in all consumer segments in the market, but we have delivered particularly well in mobile Internet, which has driven date revenue growth of 69%. Turkey now has 18% smartphone penetration, up 9 percentage points from a year ago.
In the enterprise segment, following the acquisition of Koc.net, we have been able to launch a range of innovative propositions in the Total Communications arena. India grew at 16% in the quarter with competitive intensity increasing in a number of circles. ARPU continues to grow due to increased penetration of the new pricing plans alongside greater customer activity. The consumer protection regulations launched in the quarter have had a negative impact on revenue performance. We continue to wait for details of the new telecoms policy to be confirmed, which have been delayed until the summer this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV