American Express Company today announced that Daniel L. Vasella, M.D., Chairman of Novartis, has been elected to its Board of Directors.
“As CEO, and now as chairman, Dan has helped to build one of the world’s most respected companies. Under his leadership, Novartis was transformed into a global leader that attracts outstanding talent and sets the standard for the healthcare industry. His business expertise, global perspective and track record of successfully adapting to rapidly changing markets will make him a terrific addition to our board of directors,” said Kenneth I. Chenault, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, American Express.
Dr. Vasella served as Chief Executive Officer and executive member of the Board of Directors for 14 years following the merger that created Novartis in 1996. Dr. Vasella was appointed Chairman of Novartis in April 1999. Before the Novartis merger, Dr. Vasella was CEO of Sandoz Pharma Ltd. and a member of the Sandoz Group Executive Committee. From 1988 to 1992, he was with Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Corporation in the United States, prior to which he held a number of medical positions in Switzerland.
Dr. Vasella is a member of the board of directors of PepsiCo, Inc. He is also a member of the International Board of Governors of the Peres Center for Peace in Israel, the International Business Leaders Advisory Council for the Mayor of Shanghai, and is a foreign honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. In addition, Dr. Vasella serves as a member of several industry associations and educational institutions.He graduated with an M.D. from the University of Bern in Switzerland and completed executive training at the Harvard Business School in the United States. He was also awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Basel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV