Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
This was clearly on display Thursday with PPG (PPG) announcing that it's selling its low-growth commodity chemicals business to focus on its higher-growth specialty chemicals. Shares of PPG rose 7.5% to a new high on the news. That's a company that's living, said Cramer.Also on the "living large" list, apparel maker VF Corp (VFC), whose shares soared 10 points as the company's acquisition of Timberland last year is starting to bear fruit. Even Walgreens (WAG) decided to end its spat with Express Scripts (ESRX), sending its shares up 11.5%. Cramer said while he still prefers CVS Caremark (CVS), a stock which he owns for his charitable trust,
Executive DecisionIn the "Executive Decision" segment, Cramer spoke with Nick Pinchuk, chairman and CEO of toolmaker Snap-on (SNA), which surprised Wall Street Thursday with a seven-cents-a-share earnings beat on 5% organic growth. That news was enough to send shares of Snap-on up 9.6% to a new high. Pinchuk said the newspapers are wrong and small business is doing well in America. He said at the lower levels, people are confident and cash-rich and only in the boardroom does it seem like everyone is worried about the economy. That's why Snap-on's tool business is going "gangbusters," he said. After focusing almost exclusively on auto mechanics, Pinchuk said Snap-on is realizing its brand resonates well with technicians in aerospace, aviation, power generation and the oil and gas business. Those industries are producing double-digit growth for the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV