LivingSocial CEO: Why We're No Groupon
By Julia Boorstin, CNBC Correspondent
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- Living Social Chief Executive Tim O'Shaughnessy faces a big question: is he preparing to bring his daily deals company public? I sat down with him at Fortune's Brainstorm:Tech conference.
Though he wouldn't give any clarity on timing of an IPO, he did shed some light on how he plans to distinguish himself from Groupon (GRPN), to both investors and consumers. And that's an increasingly important task, considering the fact that Groupon's stock has been pummeled, down over 60% year-to-date. Did Facebook's (FB) disappointing stock movement since its IPO impact his perspective on going public? He says no.
O'Shaughnessy stressed that LivingSocial is more than just a daily deals service. Today it launched "LivingSocial Shop," offering product sales. It comes with Groupon Goods, as well as flash sale sites like Gilt Group and One King's Lane. But LivingSocial will curate its offers for consumers based on all the information it knows about them, based in turn on their purchase history.In order to compete with larger rivals like Groupon, O'Shaughnessy wants LivingSocial to offer services that Groupon can't compete with -- unique experiences that can't be replicated. The company has been investing in creating unique experiences that aren't discounted "deals" -- they're packages, like concerts (the company just signed a deal with AEG), or tickets to sporting events packaged with a car service or other extras.
More from CNBC
Innovation in Virtual Markeplaces Generating Buzz
Zynga Exploring 'Real Money Gaming': CEO
Coursera CEO: Company to Offer 100 Free Online University Classes
-- Written by Julia Boorstin at CNBC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV