SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ:SNDK), a global leader in flash memory storage solutions, announced today results for the second quarter ended July 1, 2012. Total second quarter revenue of $1.03 billion declined 25% on a year-over-year basis and declined 14% on a sequential basis.
On a GAAP (1) basis, second quarter net income was $13 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, compared to net income of $248 million, or $1.02 per diluted share, in the second quarter of fiscal 2011 and $114 million, or $0.46 per diluted share, in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
On a non-GAAP (2) basis, second quarter net income was $51 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, compared to net income of $278 million, or $1.14 per diluted share, in the second quarter of fiscal 2011 and net income of $156 million, or $0.63 per diluted share, in the first quarter of fiscal 2012. For reconciliation of non-GAAP to GAAP results, see accompanying financial tables and footnotes.
"We delivered second quarter results in line with our forecast, reflecting short-term weakness in our mobile OEM sales, strength in retail, especially in international markets, and growth in our enterprise and client SSD products,” said Sanjay Mehrotra, president and chief executive officer of SanDisk. “I am pleased to report that our SSD revenues achieved 10% of second quarter sales with growing adoption of our solutions by major OEMs. We also made good progress on our embedded product roadmap for mobile customers. We believe that strengthening industry fundamentals and our expanding portfolio of solutions will contribute to improving financial results in the second half of 2012."SECOND QUARTER 2012 KEY FINANCIAL METRICS
|Metric in millions of US$, except %||GAAP||Non-GAAP|
|Gross Profit % of revenue||$281 27.2%||$613 44.6%||$417 34.5%||$292 28.3%||$623 45.3%||$432 35.8%|
|Operating Income % of revenue||$36 3.5%||$379 27.6%||$192 15.9%||$68 6.6%||$402 29.3%||$227 18.8%|
- competitive pricing pressures, resulting in lower average selling prices and lower or negative product gross margins;
- potential delays in product development or lack of customer acceptance of our solutions, particularly OEM products such as our embedded flash storage solutions, and client and enterprise SSD solutions;
- unpredictable or changing demand for our products, including form factors, capacities and underlying memory technologies;
- excess captive memory output or capacity, which could result in write-downs for excess inventory, lower of cost or market charges, lower average selling prices, fixed costs associated with under-utilized capacity or other consequences;
- inability to maintain or gain market share in client and enterprise SSD markets; and
- the other risks detailed from time-to-time under the caption “Risk Factors” and elsewhere in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings and reports, including, but not limited to, our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended April 1, 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV