NEW YORK, July 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Harwood Feffer LLP ( www.hfesq.com) is investigating potential claims against the board of directors of Bridgepoint Education, Inc. ("Bridgepoint" or the "Company") (NYSE: BPI) concerning whether the board has breached its fiduciary duties to shareholders.
Bridgepoint operates Ashford University ("Ashford"), the University of the Rockies, and online institutions. During May and June 2011, the eligibility review committee of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges ("WASC") notified Ashford that its accreditation was at risk due to: (a) inadequate student retention and completion, (b) insufficient student progress tracking, (c) an insufficient core of full-time faculty members, and (d) lack of an empowered and independent governing board.
On June 25, 2012, the Higher Learning Commission ("HLC") notified Ashford that it has until December 1, 2012 to demonstrate that it has a "substantial presence" in the 19-state north central region of the United States. On July 9, 2012, Bridgepoint filed a Form 8-K with the SEC disclosing that on July 5, 2012, Ashford had received an official notice denying its accreditation application by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the WASC. Subsequently on July 9, 2012, Bridgepoint issued a press release announcing that Ashford would appeal the decision and re-apply for WASC accreditation. On this news, shares of Bridgepoint common stock dropped nearly 34%, closing at $14.25 per share on July 9, 2012 from $21.50 the previous day, on volume of 1.2 million shares.If you own Bridgepoint shares and wish to discuss this matter with us, or have any questions concerning your rights and interests with regard to this matter, please contact:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV