NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- I know you've all heard the motto "What's good for the Generals is good for America." For many years that was true. A portfolio of the Generals -- General Electric (GE), General Mills (GIS), General Dynamics (GD) and General Motors (GM) pretty well covered the entire U.S. economy.
General Electric is still the largest U.S. conglomerate. Although lately the stock price has faltered a bit it still warrants a look. During the past month the stock fell about 1% as this hourly trading chart provided by Barchart shows:
But over the last six months while the market as measured by the Value Line Index is down about 3% while General Electric is up over 4%:General Electric operates in six main divisions: energy and infrastructure, including equipment for wind turbines, gas and oil production and nuclear power; aviation parts and systems; health care, including medical devices manufacturing and disease and drug research; transportation, providing drive technology to many industries; home and business solutions, providing appliances, lighting and plant automations; and financial services through its GE Capital unit. The company was founded in 1892 and is headquartered in Fairfield, Conn. Barchart technical indicators:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV