NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Several large coal companies are once again laying it on the line. Coal has cooled off from low-priced natural gas competition. United States Natural Gas Fund ETF (UNG) tracks the price of natural gas and is an easy way to get an idea of natural gas price direction.
Between government regulations and the low price of natural gas, coal is out of favor. Fortunately, Asia and Europe continue to import coal from North America, although not in the quantities miners would prefer. The exports help to support pricing as orders from power plants wane.
UNG data by
Up until the fall in natural gas prices, coal was the number one fuel source for electric power plants. With natural gas prices moving higher off the lows last month, some shifting back to coal as an energy source should be anticipated.
Alpha Natural Resources. Background: The company was founded in 2002 and is based in Abingdon, Va. Alpha Natural trades an average of 16.7 million shares per day with a market cap of $1.7 billion. 52-week high: $47.12, 52-week Low: $7.43, book value: $33.64, float short: 9.31% Investors are anticipating Alpha Natural to report weak second-quarter earnings on Aug. 8. The consensus estimate is currently for a loss of 25 cents a share, a decline of $1.21 from 96 cents during the same period last year. Over half the analysts covering Alpha Natural rate it as a buy or strong buy; 13 of the 19 analysts covering the company give a "buy" recommendation, five analysts rate it a "hold" and 1 recommends selling. Enthusiasm from analysts is falling; 13 out of 19 analysts now rate Alpha Natural a "strong buy" down from 14 analysts a month ago. Compared to three months ago, fewer analysts are rating this company as a "strong buy." The average analyst target price for Alpha Natural is $20.72.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV