During fiscal 2012, The Hunger Games trilogy reached new peaks each fiscal quarter driven by tremendous word-of-mouth among fans, supported by smart marketing and social media campaigns. Later in the year, this accelerated with the buildup and release of the movie. The Hunger Games has emerged as the top e-book in the U.S. in 2012 as the trilogy gains widespread adult readership.
We also had great results with other Scholastic authors and series including The Invention of Hugo Cabret and Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick, as well as new and backlist titles in the 39 Clues series. With over 50 million copies now in print and digital in the U.S. and many more millions internationally, The Hunger Games is a true global phenomenon, the product of remarkable storytelling and great publishing.
All 3 titles in the series have now been bought by many customers, and as a result, sales have begun to ease in June and July, as fiscal 2013 begins. For the year, we expect sales to return to pre-movie levels as The Hunger Games becomes a cornerstone of our backlist.
In the coming year, we have a number of exciting new releases, including 2 new Captain Underpants titles by Dav Pilkey and a fantastic new Star Wars pop-up book by Matthews Reinhart. Scholastic Series Publishing continues to expand with The Raven Boys, the first book in the new young adult quartet from award-winning and best-selling author Maggie Stiefvater. We also are publishing 3 new titles in the best-selling 39 Clues series.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV