Verizon brought in revenue of $28.6 billion, a 3.7% increase on the prior year's quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for a top line of $28.558 billion.
Verizon earned 64 cents a share, a 12.3% increase from the same period last year, and in line with analysts' forecasts.
"Verizon delivered another strong quarter of earnings growth and cash generation, and we remain on track to meet our financial objectives and produce solid double-digit earnings growth for the year," noted Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam, in a statement released before market open Thursday.Operating income margin for the wireless division was 30.8% during the second quarter, a record for the company. The wireless division's service revenue came in at $15.8 billion, a 7.3% hike on the prior year's quarter. Verizon Wireless also added 1.2 million retail net customers during the quarter, which included 880,000 retail postpaid net customers. At the end of the quarter, smartphones made up 50% of Verizon Wireless' retail postpaid customer phone base, up from 47% at the end of the first quarter. Investors, however, were unmoved by the results, pushing shares of the AT&T (T) rival down 1.5% to $45.20 before market open. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV