Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) today reported net revenues of $7.0 billion for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012 compared with $9.2 billion a year ago. For the current quarter, income from continuing operations applicable to Morgan Stanley was $563 million, or $0.28 per diluted share, 4 compared with income of $1.2 billion, or a loss of $0.36 per diluted share, 4 for the same period a year ago. The earnings per share calculation for the prior year second quarter included a negative adjustment of approximately $1.7 billion, or $1.02 per diluted share, related to the conversion of the Firm’s Series B Preferred Stock held by Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG) into common stock.
Results for the quarter included positive revenue of $350 million compared with $244 million a year ago related to changes in Morgan Stanley’s debt-related credit spreads and other credit factors (Debt Valuation Adjustment, DVA). 1
Excluding DVA, net revenues for the current quarter were $6.6 billion compared with $9.0 billion a year ago and income from continuing operations applicable to Morgan Stanley was $338 million, or $0.16 per diluted share, compared with income of $1.1 billion, or a loss of $0.46 a year ago. 2, 4, 5
Compensation expense of $3.6 billion declined from $4.6 billion a year ago. Non-compensation expenses of $2.4 billion decreased from $2.6 billion a year ago.For the current quarter, net income applicable to Morgan Stanley, including discontinued operations, was $0.29 per diluted share, compared with a net loss of $0.38 per diluted share in the second quarter of 2011. 6
|Summary of Firm Results (dollars in millions)|
|As Reported||Excluding DVA (2), (3)|
|Net||MS Earnings||Net||MS Earnings|
|Revenues||Cont. Ops (1)||Revenues||Cont. Ops (1)|
- Global Wealth Management Group net revenues were $3.3 billion despite the challenging markets. The pre-tax margin for the current quarter was 12% compared with 9% a year ago. Discontinued operations included a pre-tax gain of $108 million from the previously announced sale of Quilter & Co. Ltd. (Quilter) in the U.K. Global fee based asset flows were $4.1 billion. On June 1, 2012, the Firm advised Citigroup Inc. of its intention to exercise its right to purchase an additional 14% of Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (MSSB).
- Investment Banking revenues were $884 million. The Firm ranked #1 in global IPOs, #2 in global announced M&A and #3 in global Equity. 7
- Sales and trading net revenues were $2.3 billion, or $1.9 billion excluding DVA. 8 Fixed Income and Commodities and Equity sales and trading net revenues reflected the challenging global market environment with reduced levels of client activity.
- Asset Management reported net revenues of $456 million and assets under management or supervision of $311 billion and positive net flows of $13.1 billion.
|Summary of Institutional Securities Results (dollars in millions)|
|As Reported||Excluding DVA (1)|
- Advisory revenues were $263 million compared with $533 million a year ago on lower levels of market activity. Fixed income and equity underwriting revenues were $621 million compared with $940 million a year ago primarily reflecting lower market volume.
- Fixed income and commodities sales and trading net revenues were $770 million compared with $1.9 billion a year ago. The decrease in net revenues from last year’s second quarter reflected reduced levels of client activity across geographies and most products. 8
- Equity sales and trading net revenues were $1.1 billion compared with $1.8 billion in the prior year quarter primarily reflecting lower results in the derivatives and cash businesses. 8
- Other sales and trading net losses were $11 million compared with losses of $507 million in last year’s second quarter reflecting gains on hedges associated with corporate lending activity and the net positive impact of $76 million representing an out of period gain of $300 million on the incorrect application of hedge accounting on certain derivative contracts previously designated as net investment hedges of certain foreign, non-U.S. dollar denominated subsidiaries, partially offset by a loss of $224 million resulting from fair value changes within the quarter of the related derivative positions not qualifying for net investment hedge accounting. 9
- Compensation expense was $1.4 billion compared with $2.2 billion a year ago. The current quarter reflects an adjustment of approximately $160 million to reduce previously accrued discretionary above base compensation due to an updated 2012 financial outlook. The reported compensation to net revenue ratio was 44%; excluding DVA, this ratio was 49%. 10 Non-compensation expenses were $1.3 billion compared with $1.5 billion a year ago.
- Morgan Stanley’s average trading Value-at-Risk measured at the 95% confidence level was $91 million compared with $84 million in the first quarter of 2012 and $145 million in the second quarter of the prior year.
|Summary of Global Wealth Management Group Results (dollars in millions)|
- Asset management fee revenues of $1.9 billion increased from $1.8 billion a year ago primarily reflecting an increase in fee based assets.
- Transactional revenues 14 of $976 million declined from $1.2 billion a year ago primarily reflecting reduced commissions and fees from lower levels of client activity.
- Compensation expense for the current quarter was $2.0 billion with a compensation to net revenue ratio of 60%. Non-compensation expenses of $918 million decreased from $991 million a year ago.
- Total client assets were $1.7 trillion at quarter end. Client assets in fee-based accounts were $526 billion, or 31% of total client assets. Global fee based asset flows for the quarter were $4.1 billion.
- The 16,934 global representatives at quarter end achieved average annualized revenue per global representative of $775,000. Total client assets per global representative were $101 million.
|Summary of Asset Management Results (dollars in millions)|
- Net revenues of $456 million decreased from $636 million a year ago as results in the Traditional Asset Management business were primarily offset by losses on principal investments in the Merchant Banking business compared with gains in the prior year quarter and lower gains on principal investments in the Real Estate Investing business. 16
- Compensation expense for the current quarter was $214 million with a compensation to net revenue ratio of 47%. Non-compensation expenses of $199 million increased from $188 million a year ago.
- Assets under management or supervision at June 30, 2012 of $311 billion increased from $296 billion a year ago. The increase primarily reflected net customer inflows in Morgan Stanley’s liquidity and alternatives funds, partly offset by market depreciation. The business recorded strong net flows of $13.1 billion in the current quarter, including approximately $4.5 billion related to the conversion of MSSB client balances into liquidity funds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV