Nexen Announces Continued Progress On Strategic Initiatives & Solid Second Quarter Results
CALGARY, Alberta, July 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Performance at Buzzard & Usan Drives Increased Production and Cash Flow
Nexen Inc. (TSX: NXY) (NYSE: NXY) today reported second quarter 2012 operating and financial results and provided an update on strategic priorities.
Production volumes averaged 213,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boe/d), a 5% increase from the first quarter. These volumes reflected the ramp-up of our Usan project offshore West Africa and solid performance from our UK assets, in particular the Buzzard platform. Cash flow from operations was up 6% to $707 million ( $1.34/share) as we recognized the first cash flow from Usan and continued to benefit from our exposure to Brent-priced oil and strong cash netbacks. Net income decreased 36% from the prior quarter to $109 million ( $0.20/share) primarily due to the previously announced unsuccessful Kakuna exploration well in the Gulf of Mexico.We continue to make good progress on several of our strategic priorities:
- Buzzard operations were very strong; the facility produced 194,000 boe/d (84,000 boe/d net to Nexen) with a production efficiency of 88%, which exceeded our target of 85%.
- Usan continues to ramp-up and is currently producing over 100,000 barrels per day (bbls/d) (20,000 bbls/d net to Nexen) from the initial production wells.
- In the Gulf of Mexico, we continue to be excited by our success at Appomattox. We recently completed a successful appraisal well in the south fault block of the structure and the preliminary indications are that we are near the upper end of our expectations. Next, we plan on drilling a sidetrack to test additional resource potential in the northwest fault block.
- We also continue to progress our exploration program elsewhere, with drilling operations underway on the North Uist well in the UK North Sea and the Owowo West well, offshore West Africa.
- We achieved first production from pad 12 at Long Lake and began steaming pad 13 ahead of expectations; these pads are expected to produce 11,000-17,000 bbls/d of gross bitumen production following an 18 to 24 month ramp-up.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV