Snap-on Incorporated (NYSE: SNA), a leading global innovator, manufacturer and marketer of tools, equipment, diagnostics, repair information and systems solutions for professional users performing critical tasks, today announced operating results for the second quarter of 2012.
- Sales of $737.9 million increased $11.2 million, or 1.5%, from 2011 levels; excluding $20.8 million of unfavorable foreign currency translation, organic sales increased 4.5%. Second quarter 2012 revenues (net sales plus financial services revenue) were $777.8 million.
- Restructuring costs of $10.2 million included $6.8 million, as expected, for the settlement of a pension plan related to a 2011 facility closure; second-quarter 2011 restructuring costs were $1.9 million.
- Operating earnings before financial services of $104.6 million, including $8.3 million of higher restructuring costs, improved to 14.2% of sales as compared to $98.8 million, or 13.6% of sales, last year.
- Financial services operating earnings of $25.6 million compares with $17.5 million (excluding the $18.0 million arbitration settlement gain) last year; second-quarter 2011 operating earnings from financial services, including the arbitration settlement gain, were $35.5 million.
- Consolidated operating earnings of $130.2 million increased $13.9 million from comparable (excluding arbitration settlement gain) prior-year levels and improved to 16.7% of revenues as compared to 15.4% last year. Including the arbitration settlement gain, consolidated operating earnings in the second quarter of 2011 were $134.3 million or 17.7% of revenues.
- Net earnings of $76.4 million, or $1.30 per diluted share, compares with second-quarter 2011 net earnings of $66.9 million, or $1.14 per diluted share, excluding the $18.0 million ($11.1 million after tax or $0.19 per diluted share) arbitration settlement gain. Net earnings in the second quarter of 2011, including the arbitration settlement gain, were $78.0 million, or $1.33 per diluted share.
“We’re encouraged by our second quarter 2012 results, which we believe validate the strength of Snap-on’s ability to serve ‘the serious’ - professionals performing critical tasks where the costs and penalties for failure can be high,” said Nick Pinchuk, Snap-on chairman and chief executive officer. “We believe the organic sales increase, achieved despite uncertainties surrounding the global macroeconomic environment, particularly in Europe, illustrates ongoing advancements along our defined runways for coherent growth: enhancing the franchise network, expanding in the vehicle repair garage, extending into critical industries, and building in emerging markets. At the same time, we believe the continuing operating margin improvements are a clear reflection of our Snap-on Value Creation Processes and their positive contributions to our enterprise. Finally, I note that the second quarter results and our favorable trends are due to the dedication and efforts of our franchisees and associates worldwide; I thank them for their ongoing support and commitment.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV