By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The energy bulls are now turning to Weatherford (WFT) which has lagged the sector recently.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of almost 51,000 January 2014 20 calls Wednesday against previous open interest of just 492 contracts. Most of them traded in two large blocks for $1.05.
Calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy shares, so they can generate some nice leverage in the event of a rally. But these options will expire worthless if the stock doesn't move.The company, which provides equipment and services to energy drillers, saw its stock rise 2.31% to $12.82 Wednesday. The shares have been bottoming out between $11 and $12 since early June while other companies in the sector have ripped higher amid a surge of bullish option activity. Using calls that expire in 2014 gives the investor plenty of time for a rally, while avoiding big losses if the stock drops. Overall option volume was eight times greater than average in the name Wednesday. Calls outnumbered puts by a bullish 15-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in WFT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV