Oil exploration and production firm Murphy Oil (MUR) has been shaking up its business model in the last year or so, moving from being an integrated oil producer to strictly an E&P firm. That's meant shedding gas stations and unloading refineries, moves that will reduce Murphy's scale temporarily, but should drastically boost MUR's net margins and make the firm less beholden to the ebb and flow of oil prices.
That's a good thing for income investors; it means that the firm's 27.5 cent dividend payout is less likely to get cut if oil prices recede too far and squeeze low margin refining and retail operations.>>5 Rocket Stocks to Buy After Friday's Bounce $10 billion Murphy is one of the more interesting E&P names on the market. Its projects span from the Congo to Malaysia to the U.S., and they've fuelled a double-digit growth rates for Murphy's top line in the last several years. That growth (and the cash it's provided) has helped to easily cover the firm's dividend for the past few years. Murphy's payout has been 27.5 cents, now a 2.24% yield, since August 2010. I think that the firm is due for a dividend hike in the next quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV