East West Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: EWBC), parent company of East West Bank, the financial bridge between the United States and Greater China, today reported financial results for the second quarter of 2012. For the second quarter of 2012, net income was $70.6 million or $0.47 per dilutive share. East West increased second quarter net income by $10.0 million or 17% and increased earnings per dilutive share $0.08 or 21% from the prior year period.
“Net income for East West for the second quarter of 2012 totaled $70.6 million or $0.47 per share, an increase in earnings per share of 21% compared to the prior year period,” stated Dominic Ng, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of East West. “East West’s strong financial results for the second quarter are the result of our ability to drive growth and generate strong operating performance quarter after quarter. During the second quarter of 2012, we continued to focus on growing both noncovered loans and low-cost core deposits, and reducing credit costs. Since March 31, 2012, we grew our noncovered commercial and trade finance loans by $180.0 million or 6%, and increased core deposits by $476.9 million or 5% to $11.0 billion.”
Ng continued, “The increase in East West’s profitability is due to our success in growing key loan and deposit portfolios, combined with reduced credit costs and strong expense management. During the second quarter of 2012, the provision for loan losses decreased to $15.5 million and net charge-offs totaled $11.7 million, a decrease of 42% and 63%, respectively, from prior year. Nonperforming assets continued to decline, decreasing to $155.7 million or 0.72% of total assets as of June 30, 2012. Further, the efficiency ratio also improved during the second quarter, decreasing from 44% in the first quarter of 2012 to 42%.”
“East West continues to outperform peers and the industry, despite the challenging operating environment. We believe that our strong results quarter after quarter demonstrate that our differentiating focus as the premier financial bridge between East and West, provides us with exceptional opportunities to win new customers and strengthen relationships with existing customers. We are pleased with our operating results for the second quarter of 2012 and are excited about future opportunities to grow our business, increase earnings and return strong value to our shareholders,” concluded Ng.
|Quarterly Results Summary|
|For the three months ended,|
|Dollars in millions, except per share||June 30, 2012||March 31, 2012||June 30, 2011|
|Net income available to common shareholders||$||68.84||$||66.37||$||58.81|
|Earnings per share (diluted)||0.47||0.45||0.39|
|Return on average assets||1.32||%||1.26||%||1.12||%|
|Return on average common equity||12.46||%||12.01||%||11.06||%|
|Net interest margin, adjusted (1)||4.01||%||4.21||%||4.03||%|
|Cost of deposits||0.45||%||0.47||%||0.70||%|
- Strong Second Quarter Earnings – For the second quarter of 2012, net income was $70.6 million or $0.47 per dilutive share. Net income grew 4% or $2.5 million from the first quarter of 2012 and 17% or $10.0 million from the second quarter of 2011. Earnings per dilutive share grew 4% or $0.02 from the first quarter of 2012 and 21% or $0.08 from the second quarter of 2011.
- Repurchase of 2.2 Million Shares of Common Stock – During the second quarter of 2012, we repurchased 2.2 million shares of our common stock at a weighted average price of $21.95 per share.
- Strong Loan Growth – Quarter to date, noncovered loans, excluding loans held for sale, grew $296.8 million or 3%. This growth was largely due to increases in commercial and trade finance loans, and single family loans, which grew $180.0 million or 6% and $64.8 million or 3%, respectively from March 31, 2012.
- Strong Core Deposit Growth – Core deposits increased $476.9 million or 5% to a record $11.0 billion or 64% of total deposits. Total deposits remained unchanged at $17.3 billion, as we continued our strategy to reduce reliance on higher cost time deposits.
- Cost of Funds Down 4 bps from Q1 2012 and Down 29 bps from Q2 2011 – The cost of funds improved 4 basis points from the first quarter of 2012 and 29 basis points from the second quarter of 2011 to 0.71% for the second quarter of 2012. Our cost of deposits improved 2 basis points from the first quarter of 2012 and 25 basis points from the second quarter of 2011 to 0.45% for the second quarter of 2012.
- Efficiency Ratio Improves to 41.54% – For the second quarter of 2012, the efficiency ratio improved to 41.54% from 44.07% in the first quarter of 2012 and 43.95% in the second quarter of 2011.
- Nonperforming Assets Down to 0.72% of Total Assets – Nonperforming assets decreased to $155.7 million, or 0.72% of total assets at June 30, 2012, an $11.5 million or 7% decrease from March 31, 2012 and a $25.5 million or 14% decrease from June 30, 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV