Umpqua Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ: UMPQ), parent company of Umpqua Bank and Umpqua Investments Inc., today announced second quarter 2012 net earnings available to common shareholders of $23.1 million, or $0.21 per diluted common share, compared to net earnings available to common shareholders of $25.3 million, or $0.23 per diluted common share for the first quarter of 2012, and $17.7 million, or $0.15 per diluted common share, for the same period in the prior year.
Operating earnings (1) , defined as earnings available to common shareholders before gains or losses on junior subordinated debentures carried at fair value, net of tax; bargain purchase gains on acquisitions, net of tax; merger related expenses, net of tax; and goodwill impairment, were $23.5 million, or $0.21 per diluted common share for the second quarter of 2012, compared to operating earnings of $25.7 million, or $0.23 per diluted common share for the first quarter of 2012, and $18.1 million, or $0.16 per diluted common share, for the same period in the prior year.
Significant financial statement items for the second quarter of 2012 include:
- Non-covered loans and leases grew $163 million and total non-covered loan commitments increased $222 million;
- Record mortgage banking revenue of $15.6 million on closed loan volume of $489 million;
- Adjusted net interest margin (1) decreased 4 basis points to 3.96% in the second quarter primarily due to lower yields on non-covered loans and investment securities;
- Non-covered, non-performing assets continue to decline, down to 1.01% of total assets;
- Provision for non-covered loan and lease losses of $6.6 million and non-covered net charge-offs of $9.7 million, with the difference between the two primarily resulting from the decline in non-covered classified loans during the period;
- The allowance for non-covered credit losses ended the quarter at 1.39% of total non-covered loans and leases, reflecting the improved credit quality of the loan portfolio and unfunded loan commitments;
- The cost of interest bearing deposits declined 2 basis points on a sequential quarter basis to 0.47%;
- Debt Capital Markets revenue of $2.3 million;
- Tangible common equity ratio of 9.42%; and
- Total risk-based capital of 16.85%, and Tier 1 common to risk weighted asset ratio of 12.73%.
(1) Operating earnings and adjusted net interest margin are considered “non-GAAP” financial measures. More information regarding these measurements and a reconciliation to the comparable GAAP measurements are provided under the heading Non-GAAP Financial Measures below. In previous earnings releases and periodic reports, we referred to adjusted net interest margin as core net interest margin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV