RLI Corp. (NYSE: RLI) – RLI Corp. reported second quarter 2012 operating earnings of $25.2 million ($1.17 per share), compared to $38.5 million ($1.80 per share) for the second quarter of 2011. For the six months ended June 30, 2012, operating earnings were $45.8 million ($2.13 per share) compared to $63.3 million ($2.97 per share) for the same period in 2011.
|Earnings Per Diluted Share||2012||2011*|
|Operating earnings (1)||$1.17||$1.80|
|*Second quarter 2011 results were revised to reflect the retrospective adoption of a new accounting standard for policy acquisition costs.|
|(1) See discussion of non-GAAP financial measures on page 3.|
Highlights for the quarter included:
- 9% growth in gross premiums written.
- Underwriting income of $21.6 million, resulting in a combined ratio of 84.7.
- Book value per share of $40.24, an increase of 7.4% from year end 2011.
- $26.5 million net increase in underwriting income resulting from favorable development on prior years’ loss reserves.
- $12.0 million net decrease in underwriting income resulting from 2012 spring storms.
“We are pleased with our performance and once again our underwriters delivered excellent results,” said RLI Corp. Chairman & CEO Jonathan E. Michael. “Premium production benefitted from improved market conditions, particularly within the casualty segment during the quarter. Our underwriters are seeing increased submission flow but remain, as always, disciplined in their pricing and risk selection.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV