Turning to noninterest income. Sales gains from residential mortgage loan activity were again strong, and as long as interest rates remain low, this area will likely continue to make a solid contribution to income. We also saw a healthy increase in deposit account related birth for each [ph] revenues linked quarter.
Earnings pressure came largely from 2 areas: net interest margin contraction and higher expenses. While I would like to say that both items are specific to this quarter, I do not believe that to be the case. Given the current and anticipated rate, regulatory and competitive environments, these areas will present continued challenges and will receive close management scrutiny.
On the margin, we -- lower interest rates produced another reduction from -- in our funding costs. We have shown consistent decreases in our cost of funds over the last several quarters, as we adjusted our mix some time to lower cost core deposits. Those past actions have been effective. However, during the second quarter, the rate of decline on earning asset yields accelerated and put greater downside pressure on the margin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV