Dr Pepper Snapple Group (NYSE:DPS) today announced that its Plano headquarters earned Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Gold Certification for a multi-use building by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
Designated a "multi-use facility” because it includes not only offices but also a research and development center and a data center, the Plano facility was awarded LEED Gold recognition in the Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance™ category. The building had previously earned an EPA Energy Star rating in 2011, recognizing continued work to minimize energy use each year since 2008 for a total reduction of 3.2 million kWh by the end of 2011.
Tim Gratto, vice president of sustainability for DPS, said the sustainability requirements for LEED certification—which considers fuel conservation, energy use reduction, and recycling and waste reduction, among other points—align closely with the company’s overarching CSR goals.
“Earning LEED Gold certification for our Plano headquarters is a significant achievement for DPS and our ongoing sustainability efforts,” said Gratto. “This project spanned several years, and its success is a testament to the great work and dedication of a facilities team that has truly embraced our environmental sustainability commitments.”DPS headquarters achieved LEED Gold certification by retro-commissioning the Plano facility. The implementation of sustainable building practices enabled the company to reduce the building operating budget by 25 percent. In addition, it will take less than one year for the company to pay back the capital investment on green initiatives. The company garnered notable accomplishments in the following LEED credit areas:
- Water Efficiency –DPS reduced its landscaping water use by 50 percent through the use of water sensors to more accurately determine water needs.
- Energy and Atmosphere – DPS used light meters to identify lighting efficiencies across the property, resulting in the reduction of more than 2 million KWh of energy. LED lights were added to exterior areas and several areas found to be excessively lit were de-lamped. In addition, the company installed light sensors in common areas, such as break rooms.
- Sustainable Sites – Partnering with its landscape provider, DPS converted to a native /adaptive plant life model on the property, which will help plant life expectancy rates, as well as control erosion and improve pest management.
- Materials Resources – Through the help of their Information Technology department, DPS invested in low-emitting energy equipment throughout the facility. Today, all laptops on the property are Energy Star rated, and the company is in the process of converting equipment using the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool, or EPEAT®.
- Indoor Environmental Quality – The facility now uses 100 percent green cleaning products, and the custodial staff has been trained in green cleaning processes and proper disposal procedures.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV