Gaylord Entertainment (GET) is having a stellar year in 2012. Shares of the mega-hotel operator have rallied more than 54% so far on the year, buoyed by increased spending in the travel industry that pushed sales above their pre-recession highs. While this small-cap stock has historically ebbed and flowed along with the rest of the hotel business (albeit with a higher beta), it's certainly been flowing since the start of this year.
Gaylord owns the storied Grand Ole Opry, as well as massive hotel properties in cities like Washington D.C., Dallas and Orlando. These properties cater primarily to large groups, who use Gaylord's mammoth venues for conventions, trade shows, and expos. But with big competition in that space, Gaylord will need to stand out in order to stand up come earnings time.Paulson & Co. bought 1.36 million shares of Gaylord Entertainment last quarter, building a $42 million position in the firm. That's more than 2.8% of Gaylord's total market capitalization. To see the rest of John Paulson's plays - including a complete list of which stocks he added or sold off, check out the Paulson & Co. Portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV