Viacom (VIA.B) is a new position that Paulson & Co. initiated last quarter. The hedge fund manager dipped its toe into the stock, buying 1 million shares of Viacom in the last quarter. That's a $47 million position at current price levels.
Viacom owns a portfolio of cable networks that includes MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon as well as Paramount, a motion picture studio with a massive vault of film properties. The firm's positioning skews younger, a valuable choice for the media company in that it can offer advertisers unfettered access to the lucrative under-30 demographic. Investors shouldn't overlook Viacom's intellectual property either; content licensing deals could eventually be a much bigger source of revenues for the firm.>>5 Stocks Set to Soar on Bullish Earnings The firm's overt war with DirecTV (DTV) has been putting plenty of eyes on shares, but it's likely to get resolved sooner rather than later. From a financial standpoint, Viacom is in solid shape. The firm has ample liquidity on its balance sheet and a more than manageable debt load, factors that help to contribute to a reasonably generous 2.34% dividend yield right now. From a technical standpoint, a buy for VIAB is still looking a bit premature -- I'd recommend buying Viacom if it can hold a price above $48.75. Viacom shows up on a recent list of 5 Stocks to Buy and Hold for True Value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV