Paulson isn't rolling the dice with Caesars Entertainment (CZR). He likes this firm enough to warrant buying 12.4 million shares in the most recent quarter, a $182 million position at current price levels. That gives Paulson a 9.88% stake in the casino stock formerly known as Harrah's Entertainment, which had its IPO back in February.
The gaming industry has been under pressure since the start of 2012, compounding the challenges for Caesars; margins have remained under water with the exception of a blip of profitability in fiscal 2009. While that track record of financial performance doesn't instill the greatest confidence in the investing public, there's an endgame in CZR's strategy right now. In May, the agreed to sell off its Harrah's St. Louis property for $610 million in cash; a full half of CZR's current market cap in exchange for a property that generates less than 10% of revenue.>>5 Stocks Under $10 Set to Soar The move has important implications for CZR shareholders: first, it suggests that shares of this small-cap stock are trading at a big discount to the market value of its assets, and second, it brings up the possibility that Caesars is unloading less desirable (and profitable) geographic regions from its balance sheet. That opens the doors to profitability in the near future. As more analyst eyes get on this small-cap name, that bargain price tag could grow considerably. I'd recommend waiting for the sustained downtrend is CZR's price to get broken before buying.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV