In 2011, Paulson & Co. saw its funds got rocked by record losses. And this year, one of the firm's biggest funds, Advantage Plus, is down around 17% after June's rally shoved its value 7.9% lower according to data from Bloomberg. A big part of that poor performance comes from the big bets against the eurozone that Paulson has been making, buying credit default swaps and shorting European sovereign debt. As investors get more comfortable about the economic situation across the pond, those bets are hemorrhaging.
And Paulson is getting publicly flogged for it. But I said that he deserves a break, after all, Paulson has publicly stated that his funds' goal is to outperform over time, not to outperform at all times. So he's sticking with his conviction bets -- and some of his stock positions are starting to look prescient.That's why you should care about the stocks that John Paulson likes enough to buy right now -- and why we're taking a look at four of them today. >>ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out Stockpickr's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now! To do that, we're digging into his firm's 13F. Institutional investors with more than $100 million in assets are required to file a 13F -- a form that breaks down their stock positions for public consumption. From hedge funds to mutual funds to insurance companies, any professional investors who manage more than that $100 million watermark are required to file a 13F. And with $15 billion in equity alone under management, Paulson & Co. certainly fits that description. Without further ado, here's a look at four of his favorite stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV