Dow Books Triple-Digit Gain
Stocks also rose Tuesday as above-consensus earnings reports helped investors move past an appearance by Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke on Capitol Hill where he gave no indication that another round of quantitative easing was likely this summer. Bernanke was back on Capitol Hill Wednesday, delivering the same message to a House committee.
On the data front, there was more positive news for the housing market following the National Association of Home Builders report Tuesday of the monthly jump in homebuilder sentiment. The Department of Commerce reported that housing starts rose 6.9% in June to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 760,000, from May's upwardly revised 711,000. Economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected a June pace of 745,000.
Adrian Day, president of Adrian Day Asset Management, while finding the housing market data heartening, was already mentally moving on to tomorrow's initial jobless claims report.
"Employment -- whether claims, new jobs, unemployment -- the employment picture is much more important than housing," he emphasized. "Employment is really the central thing... It also seems to be the one that the
Federal Reserve, particularly Bernanke, is putting
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV