RICHMOND, Va., July 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion Virginia Power is expecting extremely hot weather and high humidity throughout its service area this week. The company is encouraging its customers to use energy wisely and is offering tips to ensure that they remain safe and as comfortable as possible and save money.
With temperatures and humidity expected to remain extremely high for today through Thursday, electricity use is expected to be high. Dominion and PJM, the regional transmission organization to which Dominion belongs, have adequate supplies of electricity to meet demand.
During times of extremely hot weather residential electricity usage can soar, leading to higher bills. Home energy conservation helps to ensure there is enough electricity to meet all customers' needs and reduces residential bills.
Dominion offers the following tips that can help lower electric bills and energy usage while keeping homes comfortable:
- Postpone activities that require hot water – such as washing dishes or clothes – to early morning or late evening. This will keep from adding more heat and humidity to the home.
- Avoid using the stove if possible and consider grilling outside instead.
- Raise the temperature setting on the thermostat. For every degree raised, customers can save as much as 3 percent on cooling costs.
- Turn off unnecessary lights during hot weather. They add to the heat in the home. Consider switching to cooler, energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs where light is needed.
- Use ceiling fans and portable floor fans to move the air around in the home. If the home does not have air conditioning, fans are essential for cooling. In homes with air conditioning, fans allow residents to raise the thermostat and save energy without affecting comfort.
- Close drapes during the hottest times of the day to block heat from entering the home and save energy.
- Make sure window air conditioners are sized correctly. Ones that are too small will run constantly but not cool the room. Ones that are too large use more energy than necessary.
- Clean filters to window air conditioning units and clean or replace filters to central air conditioning systems. Clogged filters cause air conditioners to use more energy that necessary to keep a home cool.
- Clear attic vents. If the home has an attic fan, make sure it is functioning properly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV