By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Navistar (NAV) has faced heavy downward pressure, but now some traders apparently think that it's ready to shine.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected unusual activity in the August 30 calls, with aggressive buying for 30 cents and 35 cents. Almost 13,000 of the options traded against previous open interest of 2,403 contracts, so these are new purchases.
Calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy shares in the company, which manufactures vehicles such as military trucks and buses, along with engines, parts, and chassis. Those options can generate significant leverage if the stock rallies but will expire worthless if it doesn't.Navistar climbed 4.72% to $24.18 Tuesday but has been falling steadily since February, when it was over $47. It was recently downgraded by Fitch Ratings, and the cash flows have taken a hit. Billionaire investor Carl Icahn has been fighting the trend, adding to positions in recent sessions in anticipation of a turnaround. More than 14,000 calls traded in the name Tuesday compared with fewer than 2,000 puts, a reflection of the bullish sentiment. Najarian has no positions in NAV.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV