Apple is expected to report another fantastic quarter for shareholders. The consensus estimate for the third-quarter earnings is currently $10.37 a share, an improvement of $2.58 (24.9%) from $7.79 during the same period last year.
Last quarter, Apple crushed the estimates with $12.30 a share, a surprise beat of $2.27 each -- 22% above Wall Street's estimates. (Read my latest bullish Apple article: Apple, Builders to Have Opposite Impacts in Second Half)Analysts are in love with this company. Apple is sporting 39 buy or strong buys from a total of 40 analysts covering the company, only 1 hold. No analysts recommend selling. 36 out of 39 analysts rate Apple a strong buy; an increase from 34 analysts a month ago. Shares have appreciated 69.1% from last year, and the average analyst target price is $747.94. Its 52-week range: $353.21 to $636.23; book value: $109.63; price-to-book: 5.5. The trailing 12-month price-to-earnings ratio is 14.8, the mean fiscal-year price-to-earnings ratio is 12.89, based on earnings of $46.93 per share this year. It's as if everyone is waiting for the "big miss" that never comes. For a company that produces products people love, investors have not demonstrated much of a risk appetite for Apple. Perhaps it's a function of the high share price (that is what I believe), but the most important takeaway is, Apple was a buy on every major dip in the last few years. The company had rising year-over-year revenue of $65.23 billion last fiscal year compared to $42.91 billion in the previous year. The bottom line showed rising year-over-year earnings of $14.01 billion last fiscal year compared to $8.24 billion in the previous year. Apple's previous earnings release was on April 24, and the closing price before was $560.28. Apple's share price has increased more than 8.3%. In the last month alone, shares have climbed 5.37%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV