The Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ SUMMER BREAK: Stronger earnings reports from Mattel, Coca-Cola and other big companies pushed the Standard & Poor's 500 index up for only the fourth day this month.
MORE TOYS: Mattel jumped 10 percent. The country's biggest toy maker said net income rose on better sales of Barbie dolls and lower advertising costs.
BEN SPEAKS: In the first of two days of testimony, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told Congress that weaker economic growth probably means unemployment will remain stubbornly high. But he offered no signs that the Fed would take action to bolster growth soon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV