The Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ SUMMER BREAK: Stronger earnings reports from Mattel, Coca-Cola and other big companies pushed the Standard & Poor's 500 index up for only the fourth day this month.
MORE TOYS: Mattel jumped 10 percent. The country's biggest toy maker said net income rose on better sales of Barbie dolls and lower advertising costs.
BEN SPEAKS: In the first of two days of testimony, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told Congress that weaker economic growth probably means unemployment will remain stubbornly high. But he offered no signs that the Fed would take action to bolster growth soon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV