I'm sure Mayer is familiar with all of the various ways to stay connected when not in the office. She'll spend a few days in the hospital. Go home and rest for a few days. Ease back into work shortly thereafter and likely not even miss a beat.
Frankly, it's a shame that Mayer will have to put on this show of strength. This ability to detach from the things that really matter so she can focus all of her energy on turning around a bloody company.
She'll promptly hire new and capable adults and delegate to existing and equally as capable Yahoo! employees from the hospital, from home and as a new Mom, just as she would have from the office at all hours of the night as childless power spouse. I'm guessing she has already started rolling the ball on that process.
Just writing about this makes me angry, sad and overcome with side-splitting laughter at the same time.It's depressing that somebody even needs to come to the defense of a woman who, despite the relative progressiveness of Silicon Valley and the Bay Area, rolls in a male-dominated world, complete with all of the absurd and macho double standards society, in most parts, has come to accept. Plus, Mayer has several more-than-amazing role models to call on who are just a stone's throw away. In fact, I would not be surprised if she has already consulted with Sheryl Sandberg, the COO at Facebook (FB), about their about-to-be shared experience. Something tells me that if that conversation has or will take place, it quickly morphs into one about issues that are actually relevant to running a company. Follow @RoccoPendola At the time of publication, the author was long FB. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV