NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Alarming news from New Oriental Education (EDU) is driving American for-profit stocks Bridgepoint Education (BPI), Apollo Group (APOL), Corinthian Colleges (COCO) and Devry (DV) lower.
If you're a current New Oriental Education investor, Tuesday's earnings must have you scratching your head.
New Oriental Education reported impressive beats on the top and bottom lines. Unfortunately, shares gapped lower and not higher. New Oriental Education is a Chinese company, but investors are liquidating the entire space. (See my recent article
BPI data by YCharts
New Oriental Education has lost about 30% of its market cap from Monday's close. New Oriental Education disclosed on its website they are the target of an active SEC investigation.
According to the website:"On July 13, 2012, the Company was informed that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") had issued a formal order of investigation captioned 'In the Matter of New Oriental Education & Technology Group Inc.' The Company believes that the investigation concerns whether there is a sufficient basis for the consolidation of Beijing New Oriental Education & Technology (Group) Co., Ltd., a variable interest entity of the Company, and its wholly-owned subsidiaries, into the Company's consolidated financial statements. The Company intends to fully cooperate with the SEC in its investigation." Only two sentences in an earnings report that is otherwise glowing with positive results. No one wants to read "SEC investigation" about their stock, especially one based in China. New Oriental Education may not know the full details of the investigation, but there is one thing we do know. The SEC is suing auditors for not providing audit documents. TheStreet's Timothy Collins recently called EDU a short candidate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV