CNOOC also happens to be China's biggest producer of offshore natural gas. Natural gas may turn out to be the top resource in the South China Sea, as the U.S. Geological Survey has estimated that resource, not oil, makes up 60% to 70% of the ocean's hydrocarbon deposits.
The greasy truth about the South China Sea dispute is that China will probably win it. It has the world's second largest world economy, surpassing Japan's as Asia's most important. Fellow South China Sea claimants increasingly depend China for tourism, economic cooperation and a market for exports, so the smaller countries are likely to keep pressing for a diplomatic resolution that keeps China happy.
For economic and geopolitical reasons, the U.S. doesn't want a fight with China, despite a series of gestures this year in support of its former colony, the Philippines. Whatever Washington does next, it should fall way short of sending warships to pursue the Chinese. All this means that CNOOC will be left alone to see how much it can dig up from beneath the ocean floor.
At the time of publication, the author had no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV