Arcelor Mittal (MT), the world's largest steel maker, has seen its stock price fall by more than half over the past year -- and more than 85% since 2007. Investors are clearly concerned that a weak global economy will crimp steel demand, turning profits into losses.
Yet analysts think such a dire outlook is unwarranted for this Luxembourg-based firm. Thanks to a series of plant closures, Arcelor Mittal is operating in a very lean fashion right now, which should help the company to remain profitable, even as steel pricing and demand languish. The company is expected to earn around $1.50 a share this year, and with modest improvements in the global economy projected for 2013, should see EPS move north of $2.50. That means shares trade for less than six times forward earnings.Wondering how this company will do when the global economy is again fully healthy? Arcelor Mittal earned an average of $7 a share from 2003 through 2008, which really brings the $15 stock price into sharp contrast.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV