NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- U.S. investors have been repeatedly told that it pays to bring international exposure to your portfolio. It's good advice. Foreign investments help you capitalize on the key trends playing out elsewhere in the world and reduce the chance that your nest egg will fail to grow if the U.S. market treads water.
Yet in recent quarters, foreign exposure has been a millstone as major stock markets across the globe of been slumping badly. Investing in Europe has been especially painful. For example, the Vanguard Europe ETF (VGK), which owns a basket of European blue chips, has underperformed the S&P 500 by nearly 25 percentage points over the past 12 months.
Not only have European markets lagged our own markets, but the weakening euro has magnified the underperformance. Right about now, investors are avoiding Europe like the plague. And that's a shame. Because some of the continent's best-run companies are now verifiable bargains. They've been dragged down by a scary economy, yet their exposure to the entire globe -- not just Europe -- means they're healthier than you might suspect.Here are five deeply discounted European blue-chips, all of which can be bought on U.S. exchanges. These stocks are now simply too cheap to ignore.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV