NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks finished solidly higher Tuesday as above-consensus earnings reports helped investors move past the latest evidence that more monetary stimulus is unlikely from Federal Reserve this summer.
After initially swooning in the wake of Chairman Ben Bernanke's downbeat appearance before Congress, all three major U.S. equity averages rallied into positive territory with defensive stocks leading the way.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 78 points, or 0.61%, to close at 12,805, bouncing 160 points off a session-low of 12,645. The blue-chip index is now up 4.81% so far in 2012, rising in two of the past three trading days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV