NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Citigroup (C) is sitting on $63 billion in excess capital and is well positioned to begin returning capital to shareholders during 2013, according to Atlantic Equities analyst Richard State.
Citigroup's estimated Basel III Tier 1 common equity ratio was 7.9% as of June 30, increasing from 7.2% the previous quarter, and matching JPMorgan Chase's (JPM) estimated Basel III ratio at the end of the second quarter. Before JPMorgan suspended its share repurchase program in May, after disclosing large hedge trading losses , the company had been approved by the Federal Reserve to buy back $12 billion worth of shares during 2012, with another $3 billion in buybacks authorized for 2013.
Citigroup continues to follow Vikram Pandit's "good bank/bad bank" strategy to reduce its balance sheet by allowing noncore assets to runoff within Citi Holdings, while focusing on growing revenues from main subsidiary Citicorp. With Citigroup on Monday disclosing that Citicorp had $930 billion in risk-weighted assets under Basel III -- while Citi Holdings had $323 billion in RWA -- Staite said that "thus arguably Citicorp only needs $88bn of capital to operate assuming a 9.5% ratio" of Tier 1 common equity to risk-weighted assets, under Basel III.
Staite said that "given that Citigroup has $151bn of tangible common equity but only needs $88bn to run Citicorp it shows that there is a further $63bn that is currently trapped within Citi Holdings and the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV